posy
posy asks:
Q:

My 6 years old daughter is having problems in reading and writing.

She is very slow and she is not enjoying both reading and writing but she is very smart in math she studied multiplication and division and she gets good marks in math. [She is] an Arabic speaker but she learns in an English school.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Learning issues and special needs, Helping my child with writing

|

Dr.Susan

Most probably your daughter is having a bit of trouble because English is not her first language. It can be a challenge to read and write when you have to work harder than everyone else just to keep up. I wouldn't classify her as "slow" though because when we label kids sometimes the label sticks--especially if they accidentally overhear us using it. If she does well in math, it is even more likely that she is having a challenge because of the language barrier. I'd suggest the following:

1. Speak to her teacher to see if she really is below grade level, or if it is just something you are feeling.
2. Ask the teacher if a reading teacher--could provide some extra support.
3. Ask the teacher for some summer reading and writing so your daughter can work on her skills she has and not lose what she has during the break.
4. If she is still having difficulty by the middle of next year (first grade?), she may need a psychological and academic evaluation to determine whether she requires special education services.

Dr. Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book! "The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask"

1
0
Anonymous