Ms.Ahsan
Ms.Ahsan asks:
Q:

my 6 years old son do not communicate well with other classmates. what should I do?

My son took admission in a new school in grade one.daily he is complaining for different things of school and in the morning he is saying daily,"i'm not going to school,it is not a good school, teacher is not good, she doesnot like me, she likes other classmates,she doesnot listen to me,my classmates grab my pencil,they laugh at me,they dont play with me, etc etc
I'm so worried how can I resolve these problems and how my child can adjust in the class and start paying attention to his studies.In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges
In Topics: School and Academics, Friendships and peer relationships, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Hey there,

We're so glad you took the time to reach out today for some guidance on how to help your son through this difficult and uncomfortable experience he is going through at school. We know it hurts to see your own child struggling and feeling hurt about the way he is being treated, but you definitely have options at your disposal. Reaching out was a great way for you to find out what those options are!

First, if you have concerns about the teacher's behavior, there is absolutely nothing wrong with addressing the concerns with her one on one as adults. You can be your son's biggest advocate, so if you have concerns then there is nothing wrong with addressing those concerns with other adults involved. Perhaps organizing a parent/teacher meeting would be a great way to address some of your concerns. That is well within your rights.

If the teacher is not receptive to your concerns, and if your son's complaints about her behavior continue, then perhaps going up the school's hierarchy and speaking to the principal or superintendent would be your next step. Remember, you are your son's biggest advocate, and you absolutely have the right to express concerns.

When talking to the adults about your concerns, you could also bring up the potential that bullying may be taking place in their classrooms, and that your son has been a victim of it. Your status as an advocate for your son applies to that situation as well.

It may also help to use this experience to help your son develop healthy social skills. This link could help you get started: http://www.parenting.org/article/social-skills

1-800-448-3000

0
0

O
O , Teacher writes:
Have you contacted the school's guidance counselor or even the school psychologist?  There are options through the speech and language pathologist to help children learn how to communicate effectively.  
Seek help through your school's resources.

Public schools can help!

0
0
Anonymous