spelton
spelton asks:
Q:

How do I help my 6 yr old to be a better friend?

My 6 yr old son will be in 1st grade this school year. He struggled adjusting in Kindergarten, especially in the "citizenship" area. He seems to be a class bully and I am not sure how or why he is acting this way. My husband and I talk to him about it and he seems to understand but then continues with the behavior. ( He has been dx'd with ADHD and is on medication. ) I do not want him to end up being the kid who doesn't have any friends!? Any suggestions?
In Topics: Bullying and teasing, Friendships and peer relationships

|

If your son has ADHD, that might be the culprit behind his "citizenship" struggles.  Sometimes kids (and even adults) with ADHD come off sounding really abrasive, because they don't stop to think before saying something.  Plus, kids with ADHD have a hard time transitioning, which might explain why he had a little trouble adjusting to Kindergarten.

Over time, he'll hopefully pick up some good social skills that will help him to converse with his peers better.  In the meantime, you can remind him to think before he acts.  Also make sure you're showing him kindness and affection at home (which you probably are!)  Give him tips on how to interact with other kids, too.  Even basic things (like looking someone in the eye or introducing yourself) may need to be explained to little kids -- especially kids with ADHD.

MKM, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0

kaylascookies
kaylascookies writes:
seand her to here room or tell her to be good

0
3
MelissaDoesNotBully
MelissaDoes... , Student writes:
what i do is pick the right people to hang out with its probably because her friends she follows what they do she starts or he starts to think i want to be like that person to be their friend and also i think you need to ask her , why are you doing this? who is making you feel bad or why do you do this for what reason? and tell him/her what your life lesson is about picking the right and not right people to hang out with and why you did. don't forget about how hard it was not to hang out with those people anymore and help them through it.

1
0