GracieD7
GracieD7 asks:
Q:

My 6 yr old does not want to go to school.

My 6 yr old son does not want to go to school. When in school, he does 1 problem in 40 min. He is constantly in trouble at school. Teacher sends school work home and it is a struggle. He starts his homework when he gets home from school and is still doing it when I get home from work at 6PM. He is a bully in school. I think he does not know how to play with other children. He relates better to adults than children. He does not want to leave the house to go anywhere. His Father is home on the weekends only. My Mom watches my son after school. I have a 20 month old daughter that my son adores and gets along with. He loves video games, but I limit his time playing. I am at a loss on how to help him. Please advise.
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning styles and differences, Bullying and teasing

|

I hear your concern as a parent about your six year old son, who does not want to go to school, bullies others, is having behavior and academic problems, and does not play well with his peers. He sounds very angry and frustrated and is letting others know he is unhappy through his behaviors. I congratulate you on seeking help for your son!

Consult with the school counselor and ask about learning problems and what resources are available, such as tutoring or remediation. Ask what support is available for his social and behavioral problems. What activities are available after school that would provide him opportunities to socialize appropriately with his peers? Be positive with him. Reflect his feelings- (Are you sad because daddy isn't here? I'm proud of you when you work so hard on your school work.)

Brenda Melton
Professional School Counselor
1
0

Anonymous