carlafred
carlafred asks:
Q:

6th Grade child being retained by school. What rights do parents have to fight this?

My 6th grade child is being retained by her school.  She has always had difficulty learning in a classroom setting.  I have ask the school that she be tested for a learning disbility and of course this cannot be done until after school starts. They feel that she is young enough to be held back. She is currently tutoring at a learning center 2 x week and was tested posibitive for a L.D.  I feel that with this extensive tutoring and the testing results she should be able to move on to 7th grade with her classmates.  She is being punished for something that is not in her control.  What rights do we have as parents to get her through to the next grade?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

Many areas have school advocates, who are experts in your school district that help parents mediate situations of disagreement between a parent and the school district.  These advocates usually are not paid, but volunteer their time.  You can contact the school district for a list of school advocates in your area.  Also, look for associations that help children with learning disabilities to assist you.  I have added the national organization website for learning disabilities.  They have many informative links.

0
0