reneespoms
reneespoms asks:
Q:

I believe my 6th grade daughter was punished very severly for a misunderstanding over a poinsetta.

This is the story! I got my daughters coach a poinsetta for there Christmas party (the day before break) and told her I would bring it to the school office and to stop by after school and take it to the party. My daughter went to the office after school and looked around and saw a poinsettia, she grabbed it and took it the party. The problem is that I did not take the poinsettia to the school. So when I picked her up, I told her I was sorry for not bringing the plant and she said what I gave her the poinsettia. I said no I didn't bring it. She said I got it from the office and gave it to her. I told her not to worry about it and that I would take care of it. Things were really hectic and I didn't have time since they were only in school for 3 hours that day. Well today when she went back to school she was suspended, put on red-line and kicked of the cheer squad for stealing. I explained to the office that this was just a misunderstanding and they don't see it that way. I have a meeting with the principle in the morning, but this is just crazy. They told me they didn't care and that she took something that didn't belong to her and that was it. 2 assistant principles tag teamed her today and then I was notified of what had happened. she did not steal the plant she thought it was hers to give to her coach is it that hard to understand. They are not listening. My daughter is a straight A student, president of her class, never been in trouble and a cheerleader.

|

If the scenario you are describing is the full and true account, then it is very unfortunate that the school officials are not taking the time to listen and understand your daughter.

Since the school is not listening, you may need to go to the school district or superintendent and tell them the entire story or to file a complaint. Hopefully when the dust settles and things are calmer, the truth will come out and the school officials will apologize for this misunderstanding.

If you would like to speak with a counselor about this or any other parenting issue, please call or e-mail our Hotline. You can also give your daughter our number and our website for tweens and teens: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org
We talk to parents and children of all ages every day, and we are here 24 hours 7 days a week.  We sincerly hope things work out for you and your daughter.

Take care and best wishes,
Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
0
0