Mrs. Leonard
Mrs. Leonard asks:
Q:

Which is better for 6th grade - rotating classrooms or a self-contained room?

What does research have to say about 6th graders rotating classrooms vs. being in a self-contained room?  
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|
Developmentalist
Development... writes:
Carol - I believe the research on this is mixed.  Across the US you will find both types of scenarios.  We will look into this for you.  In the mean time, I suggest contacting these two organizations.

The Center for Public Education (www.centerforpubliceducation.org)
The Center for Comprehensive School Reform and Improvement (www.centerforcsri.org)

Thanks for contacting us, the team at Education.com

0
0
ronald
ronald writes:
Carol,

Great question. Another good source of information is the National Middle School Association. There is a study on what is working in middle schools. The issues addressed in this study are more about school climate, intstructional issues. You may not want to tackle but I do cite in case you are interested. http://www.nmsa.org/portals/0/pdf/publications/RMLE/rmle_vol31_no5.pdf

I agree with the person below that the research is likely to be mixed. One big benefit of having rotating classes is the opportunity to get more specialized teachers especially in math and science.

Ron

0
0