mamasaysno
mamasaysno asks:
Q:

My 6th grade son is a year younger than his classmates but #2 in grades but not in social skills. Should we hold him back?

He goes to private school with smaller classroom size. He is actually on the high school golf team because he excels in golf. He is the eldest of 3 boys. The other 2 are in correct grade for age and the difference is their social skills and confidence is amazing. My husband believes holding him back will close the divide and allow him time to come into his own. He has invested much time and effort in his academics, is very intelligent and has great study skills. My fear is that holding him back will give him a bad message and that he will become bored and lose his drive for good grades. Please help.

|

Deciding whether to hold a child/student back is not an easy one.  In this case I agree with the other two who have already responded.  Holding your son back at this age and his academic ability would probably not be in his best interest.

As for your son's maturity...  Keep talking to him.  Point out when you believe he could have handled a situation in a more mature manner.  Give him specific alternatives.  If the next time in a similar situation your son's behavior is more age appropriate then be sure to give him praise.

Also, role play.  Throw out different scenarios and ask him what he would do.  Then have him give you a situation and then you can respond.  You might not think kids are paying attention, but they are.

Talk about how different character in books, movies or tv shows act in certain situation.  What did they do right, what could they have done differently.

Make this time fun, but meaningful.

In the long run, I'm sure with your love, support and guidance, your son is going to be just fine.

Barb K
Www.lessonpop.com

1
0