curious_mom
curious_mom asks:
Q:

I have 7 year old autistic son,he does not like to study and entering 2nd grade still behind compare to a typical 2nd grader,should he stay in school?

My son does not like any change in his regular routine, he like to go to school everyday in bus but does not like to study so he started to pinch his teaches and running away from them and stepping on their feet which he didn't show this behavior before like last year so I have a feeling his teachers didn't like this ,although they know his situation and I admire their work,so if he is not learning should I pull him out of the school?

In Topics: Special needs

|

Dear Curious Mom,

I assume that your son has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)? If so, I would call a meeting with your sons "team" (his teachers, the school psychologist, the special education administrator, etc) to discuss your son's experience at school. Share your concerns about your son's exerpience in the classroom and ask what ideas and services they have available to further support him. Is he in a self-contained special education classroom? If not, is there one at the school or in the district that may be a beter fit for children with his kinds of needs? Does he have an aide? He may benefit from having an aide to support him behaviorally and academically.

Overall, it would most likely be better for your son to remain in school, but with the appropriate services. The benefits that he would get from the structure and social interaction with peers and teachers probably outweighs what he would get at home. It sounds like the best strategy is to confer with representatives at your son's school to develop a plan for supporting him better.

Warm regards,

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
Education.com JustAsk Expert
http://www.drlaurakauffman.com/

1
0