Lisa11
Lisa11 asks:
Q:

Is my 7 year old behavior normal?

I have a 7 year old daughter who enjoys pleasuring herself many times a day. She almost looks as though she might be having orgasms. This is something that we have tried to be very open about and do not want her to feel like she is bad, but we cannot get her to understand that this is private. She does not do it in front of other people just me"mother", her father and her younger sister who is 4 almost 5. Is this something I should be concerned about or like most things at this age "it shall pass"? She has been curious down there probably since she has been 5, its only been within the last 6 months or so it seems as though she wants to do this all the time. Thank you for you time.

Lisa
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dear Lisa:

Great question and good open mind about the behavior. Good for you and Dad. Start by moving her into the bedroom if you observe the behavior. Remind her of the private nature. Be sure her clothing is not too tight and toys are not stimulating her genitally. Talk to your pediatrician about it. Have her assess the situation both developmentally and physically.  Yes, this is typical behavior but your daughter isn't getting the message.

2
0