dodgegirl79
dodgegirl79 , Parent asks:
Q:

I want to know what to do about my 7 year old daughter stealing and lying.

she steals from everyone in the house if someone got money and she knows about it she steals it and lies about it, she steals food from me when i have said don't eat my lunch for work next thing i know she steals it and eats it, she takes markers from kids at school and food they have books they have, she takes candy her brothers have that they haven't eaten yet because she already ate hers and she wants more, she is very quiet she wont answer why she does these things, what do i do

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Fellow posters have given you very good information.  However, I have noticed that you mention that she is stealing food items and  money the most.  Sometimes, children will have a desire to continuously eat or horde food items due to medical reasons.  Therefore, you may wish to consult with your daughter's physician to see if there is a medical basis for her stealing.  Also, there are some disorders that can cause stealing behaviors, such as obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).  This is something that may need to be deeply explored by professionals and you might wish to consult with the school psychologist/counselor in her school for more information.

Of course, she may be stealing simply to gain attention.  If you have ruled out medical or serious psychological problems then a behavioral system should be set up to deter her from stealing.  Such a system can also be set up at home and school (again) via the school psychologist or counselor on staff.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

1
0