Nicolebrow asks:

Should my 7 year old son repeat grade 1

My son is 7 in September. He is in the bottom of his class. The school he is at has a minilit program at his school which he started a couple of weeks ago. I do homework with him every night. He does try his hardest at school.they said he may have to repeat. I'm worried about him repeating as next year he will be 8 in grade 1. I'm worried he will be picked on in soccer and school as of his age. He is very tall for his age.
In Topics: Learning styles and differences

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

We often receive this question here on   First, if your child is really struggling then you may wish to have the School Assessment team convene to discuss if there are other problems that are hindering his academic success.  It sounds as if he is putting through much effort, but may have some real learning challenges.  Make sure all your requests are in writing as having a child reviewed is a legal process.

In addition I offered other parents this response:

There is much information available about school retention. Most current information suggests that retention may not be the best solution.  Please feel free to peruse our articles here on for more information.  I also added an article from the National Association of School Psychologists.

Thank you again for writing.

Louise Sattler, NCSP