PridesMom
PridesMom asks:
Q:

help.. = ( 7 year old who had trouble staying on task

my 7 year old is constantly getting in trouble in class for talking... he has trouble getting his thoughts on paper.. he is not a "behavior problem".. and gets frustrated with himself quickly.. he is not destructive and in in the process of being classified as section 504.. his teacher agrees he is bright and knows the materials but has trouble getting thougths on paper.. if you sit with him and walk him though each step of an assignment he does great.. however going into 3rd grade he is going to be expected to work independently.. I have talked to his doctor and determined he is not ADD... he was a newborn resuscitation so the lack of oxygen may have been a factor.. anyone have any little tricks or ideas for a desperate mom.. I feel helpless.. ='( Thank you.. and please don't attack me or my son.. I am here looking for guidance not to be beat down any more.. I love my son and want to help him do the best he can..Thank you...
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues

|

Hello PridesMom and welcome to JustAsk!  Thank you for writing.

Perhaps we can assist you with resources..

1- First, you mention that your son will have a 504 plan, this is a great opportunity to work with the School Psychologist in developing a behavior plan based on his strengths and weaknesses.  For more information on how a School Psychologist can assist your son and the role of this staff member, please go to http://www.nasponline.org

2.  KIDLUTIONS is an excellent resource for helping promote positive behaviors.. http://www.Kidlutions.com

3. You mention that your son is seven, yet entering the third grade, this is a bit young, therefore, he may be expected to complete academic tasks and intellectually process information ahead of his maturational levels. Therefore, he may need a breakdown of directions, breaks and multi-modal methods for instruction (visual, kinesthetic, auditory, etc.)

4.  Although your son may not be diagnosed as ADD or ADHD, many of the recommendations for children with this disorder may also help your son.  (And many other children, too).  For more information please feel free to peruse http://www.CHADD.org   and http://www.adhd.com

Best wishes!

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

1
0

CBrimmer
CBrimmer writes:
Try taking frequent breaks when working on projects. If you see his attention begin to wander take a break to do ten jumping jacks then start again *anything that makes you move helps not just jumping*. Something that may help is to have him go over the assignment as a speech have him stand in front of you to lecture about the topic "mommy is the student and needs to take notes so she will know the lesson" that will help organize the ideas, then the two of you can go over your notes to put it into report form "lets take my notes and make an article for the newspaper out of it" I find that children love to see their work in print you may have to spend some time on the computer making a family newsletter though, remember only the best work goes in the newspaper! You can also try using writing diagrams A leads to B leads to C etc., or idea webs you can find templates online. You may want to contact your local homeschool group for ideas and of course stay in contact with your child's teacher they are a wonderful resource! Good luck!

1
0
sweetieincinci-oh
sweetieinci... , Parent, Teacher writes:
Is it possible for him to record his answers on a tape recorder and then listen to it to get his thoughts on paper? Also, I teach my students to write down every idea they have first, then cross out the stuff that doesn't make sense to them or isn't on topic. Then it narrows them down to important stuff. I also suggest graphic organizers for your child. I'll keep looking for ideas. I know it can be very frustrating...the only other option i can give right now is scribe for him at home on homework...

0
0