stylist822000
stylist822000 asks:
Q:

My 7 year old wont behave at school. Any advice?

My 7 year old is in the first grade. Since Kindergarten he has been bringing home behavior charts with happy faces and sad faces to let us know how he is doing since he never seems to stay in control. He is always sassy and talks back and argues with the teachers and is constantly being disrespectful. He is constantly sitting out at recess and he knows better than to act like he does. He is a joy and always great one on one but in group settings he can't control himself. His grades are great and he tests at a 3rd grade level. we have tried negative and positive reinforcement and I'm lost as what to do now. He tells me everyone hates him at school and is now showing signs of low self esteem. Any advice??
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Sorry to hear about your son's struggle at school.  Sounds that he is smart and progresses with his academic development just fine.  However, he seems to have problems with social interactions.  Is he impulsive?  Does he get angry easily?  Does he get distracted more than he should?  I think that these are questions that you need to think about.  Also, you mentioned that he has self-esteem problems and thinks that everybody hates him.  Do you think that he might be depressed?

Discuss these issues with your son's health care provider who will be able to suggest how to help him thrive at home and at school.

3
1