stylist822000
stylist822000 asks:
Q:

My 7 year old wont behave at school. Any advice?

My 7 year old is in the first grade. Since Kindergarten he has been bringing home behavior charts with happy faces and sad faces to let us know how he is doing since he never seems to stay in control. He is always sassy and talks back and argues with the teachers and is constantly being disrespectful. He is constantly sitting out at recess and he knows better than to act like he does. He is a joy and always great one on one but in group settings he can't control himself. His grades are great and he tests at a 3rd grade level. we have tried negative and positive reinforcement and I'm lost as what to do now. He tells me everyone hates him at school and is now showing signs of low self esteem. Any advice??
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Sorry to hear about your son's struggle at school.  Sounds that he is smart and progresses with his academic development just fine.  However, he seems to have problems with social interactions.  Is he impulsive?  Does he get angry easily?  Does he get distracted more than he should?  I think that these are questions that you need to think about.  Also, you mentioned that he has self-esteem problems and thinks that everybody hates him.  Do you think that he might be depressed?

Discuss these issues with your son's health care provider who will be able to suggest how to help him thrive at home and at school.

3
1

Friendforyou
Friendforyou writes:
I would suggest starting with a meeting at your son's school (Student Success Team- SST or something similar).  At the meeting, the group can brainstorm ideas to help your son.  Here are some suggested strategies: have him go to a older classroom (2nd or 3rd) for part of the day to learn some advanced skills; have him go and read to a Kindergarten class; have him develop tests (questions and answers) in lieu of some of his homework; be an office or lunch time assistant x number of times a week to develop positive relations; ball monitor at recess; please INSIST- he does not lose his recess; set up a menu of rewards/reinforcement for completing x; allow him non-distracting items to fidget with in class (velcro on his desk, squishy ball, eraser top, pencil grip, play-doh); and set up a space in the back of the classroom he can go to when he needs a break.  Good luck!

0
0
elizabethlute
elizabethlute writes:
is there a bully at school?  just ask him.

0
0
CBrimmer
CBrimmer writes:
My daughter does this too, constantly talking in class, acting out and just not paying attention. She was also testing third grade and above in Kindergarten. I think a lot of it is she is just plain bored! The teachers have to teach the level of the class in general and then the advanced children are left to their own devices and amuse themselves. No matter how good the teacher (and my daughters teachers are amazing!) there is not enough time for one on one all day unless you get a private teacher which unless youre a millionaire good luck with that. Try teaching more advanced concepts at home, or encourage him to take the next step from what they are teaching in class.

2
0