crazymamaof3
crazymamaof3 asks:
Q:

My 7 yo for about 4 yrs now will only wear skirts, dresses, no pants ever. We are going camping and pants are required; she refuses to go, is this normal?

She was very excited about going camping until I informed her she had to wear a sweat outfit to bed and pants during the day.. She got very upset and said she didn't want to go now and that she hates girlscouts... I am a leader so i need to be there... Any advice on how to get her to want to go is appreciated
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

It is about the rules and picking battles.  If her outfits are acceptable for school, she is at least acceptable for school.  she does not have to go to camp--you do. You also do not need to make exceptions for her. the rules are clear-sweats and pants if you want to go. If you do not abide by the rules, you do not go.

the first rule of parenting is to establish who is the parent.  If she must accompany you to camp, then I would allow pants with a skirt over it or modified outfit with the stated requirements as obvious.

7 year olds can be tough, but hang in there. I'll bet she will come around.

3
0