Luvmy3kids
Luvmy3kids asks:
Q:

My 7 yr old son is in 1st grade and is slow at reading. Does good in other areas, no behavior problems.  Teacher wants to retain him.  What do I do?

His comprehension skills are great, basic math is great, he even does well in spelling.  He is a good listener, gets along with his peers, and has no behavior issues in class. He just hasn't gotten this reading thing down yet.  Is that enough to make him repeat 1st grade?  We are in the process right now of getting him a reading tutor, who will work with him until he no longer needs the help.  I am struggling trying to figure out what is best for my child.  In my heart, I say "no" to retaining him.  It would crush his little self-esteem and I think he would see it as some kind of punishment.  I don't know what to do!!  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

In my opinion, prior to any discussion of retention, you may wish to discuss or even formally request a multi-disciplinary psycho-educational assessment of his intellect and academic skills.  This will help to rule out any learning disabilities and determine exactly the kinds of difficulties he has with reading. It is not unusual for a child with learning challenges to have one area that shines (such as math) while another is difficult (such as reading).  There are many excellent methods for teaching children with learning challenges, whether they are diagnosed with learning disabilities or simply have a reading lag.  

Please feel free to look on this website for resources regarding delayed reading and learning disabilities.

1
0