johnsgirl1259
johnsgirl1259 asks:
Q:

My 7 yr old son is in 2nd grade. How can I retain my child's already 3rd grade reading level over the summer?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Camp and summer enrichment

|
ffoeg12345
ffoeg12345 writes:
Hi, I'm suggesting this only because im 14, and remember what my parents did for me back then.

I would set up a system where, your son reads for a certain amount of time in the morning or evening (if evening he needs to commit, if commitment is broken, make him stay home tomorrow, or something to make him keep his promise) so lets say for example that he needs to read for at least 30 minutes, then after he is done the 30 minutes of reading, depending on how well you think he has done (amount of pages he has read, or if he can summarize the chapters) you can let him go out and play with friends.

1
0
Daniel_Guillot
Daniel_Guil... , Parent writes:
I like the previous answer, there is a degree of learning which can only come from repetition.  Practice makes perfect is the phrase this is often referred to as. Whether it be math, spelling, reading, sports, or the arts, practice is the underappreciated teaching method.  Whether you are a child or adult, you can learn a single task relatively easily, but repetition allows you to learn to perform that task easier, more efficiently, and to remember it longer.  Find a way to make it fun so that he will want to practice.  Get him invested in it.  Ask him what he would like to read.  If he chooses the practice method, he will be more easily motivated.

0
0
Anonymous