seansmom
seansmom asks:
Q:

How can I help my 7 yr old explain things better?

My 7 yr old son, is a good student. He is very outgoing and popular amongst his peers. I have realized when he needs to explain something he will say he "forgot" or "let me show you" rather than actually formulating a full thought to express what he needs to.
His reading is excellent and when you ask him questions about the book, his comprehension is there. When you ask he to explain day to day occurrence in school he will get frustrated, and we are patient with him.
We tell him if its easier to just think about the subject and put it into words how he feels most comfortable explaining it.
Most time as a family it is almost like we are putting a puzzle together to get a cohesive explanation out of him. At school we have had no indication of any behavioral issues.
Once he gets home, we give him a little time to "decompress" and then off to homework. If he doesn't understand the homework, he get so frustrated he pushes his books to the floor,and puts his head down.
We do not yell at him and try to encourage him as best as possible, however, I am certain he is picking up on our frustration no matter how much we try to hide it.
If anyone could give me any insight as to which way to turn for help in understanding my sons situation and helping him "deal" with matter which is best for him, I would be so appreciative...
Thank you in advance...
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Helping my child with school work and home work, Parenting / Our Family

|

Dear Seansmom:

You have had some great thoughts about how to approach this.  I would add that a child study team or private evaluation by a developmental pediatrician might give great insight to you as parents about his frustrations.  Go early and go aggressive.  If he is frustrated now, it can only grow incrementally as the work moves forward.

Good luck with him.

1
2
Anonymous