rodeomom
rodeomom asks:
Q:

7th grade boy can not keep up with his grades

My 7th grade boy is not passing his classes and I don't know what to do?  He does not turn in his work and just has a hard time keeping up with it, he is a really good kid gives me no trouble at all.  I don't know what to do, his father is no help at all, he says it is up to him if he wants to be a big loser.  I need help.

|

Hi Melody,

This must be a very frustrating situation for you! You want your son to succeed, but he just can't seem to find his way with schoolwork.

There are so many ways of thinking about your son's situation. First, you didn't mention whether he is just now beginning to struggle or always had a difficult time. The timing of his challenges in school could explain a lot. If he has always struggled in school, he may actually have some form of learning difference or "disability" that is prohibiting him from making the most of the school curriculum. If this is the case, he might very well benefit from an evaluation to better understand the nature of his learning and whether he might qualify for special accommodations in the classroom to make the most of his strengths.

On the other hand, if he has just begun to have trouble academically, he may simply be struggling with the adjustment to middle school (assuming he transitioned to a middle school in 6th or 7th grade). The level of organization required of a student in middle school is immense. If this is the situation, he might require some additional support in terms of learning good study and organization habits. See this section for additional information: http://www.education.com/reference/topic/ParentSchoolConnection_HomeworkHelp/

Just a few things to consider...

0
0