Summayyah
Summayyah asks:
Q:

My 8 month old son doesn't like being on his stomach.  Am I rushing him into something he's not ready for yet?

My son will be 8 months on the 30th,  He doesn't like being on his stomach, let alone trying to move or crawl, he doesn't move his legs when he is standing. Can he be behind or am I just rushing him into something he is not ready for yet?
In Topics: Physical development

|

mheyman

Babies can benefit from time lying on their stomach (called the "prone" position).  It can help to strengthen their maturing bodies, and in younger infants help to prepare them for crawling and scooting, even walking.  

Some babies may not like to be on their stomach.  This is usually not a worrisome issue, but you can help overcome this by providing play time, positioning yourself and/or toys within reach while he is lying on his stomach.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has a handout on this topic (link attached), and notes that the preferred sleep position remains on the back ("Supine" position)
1
0