jjkj27
jjkj27 asks:
Q:

8 year old boy stays up too late on school nights. Tried tv as a last resort to help him fall asleep. Has trouble waking up in the morning. Help!!

He gets good grades in school but has a hard time settling down. I know it's not ADD or anything like that. I think he's just spoiled and always wants me ( mom) or dad to lay with home because he's scared. We don't give anything with caffeine and read books to him. He's just restless and finally falls asleep on average about 11pm. We have him a tv as a last resort but it hasn't helped and if we try to take it away he crys. Should we get the tv out ASAP?
Member Added on Mar 14, 2013
Sorry, I hit continue before I could edit. Typing from a phone!
In Topics: Sleep and rest

|

Start by cutting out TV, or any thing with a "white" light which will stimulate the brain's system of wakefullness. No TV in the bedroom and establish a bed time ritual. Warm baths and milk help induce sleep. When he goes into his room do not lie down with him rather work in the room or sit in a chair and read. Gradually remove yourself.  Dr.Ferber's book "helping your child sleep through the night" is a good one to read yourself.  give him a pass that he can use just once for water or the bathroom. Once used, it's gone. Get him up and go to school daily.  and start at night by "time shifting" and start bedtime 15 min earlier daily as well.

Best wishes.

expert panelist: pediatricsWayne Yankus, MD, FAAP

0
0