lauraH
lauraH asks:
Q:

My 8 year old daughter is afraid of the dark and monsters.

I am very loving and comforting, but i'm getting very tired, as she wakes me up approx. 4 times a night with her fears. I am super worried about her sleep as well. She has started developing dark circles under her eyes.
Do you have any suggestions?
In Topics: Sleep and rest

|

Dear Laura H:

Start by reading books before bed about happy stories.  Develop the "pass" system. You will go in once on a pass but once it is used, no more trips in the room.  Be reassuring but firm.  Also, limit tv and the news not to create undue fears. It is important to have a gradual and routine bedtime with a warm bath or something soothing and a "prop" or stuffed animal is ok unless there are allergic issues.

0
0

Best Answer!

Hello, my daughter had the very same thing. One thing we did was art therapy. I had her draw the "monster" she was seeing and then we built a silly story around it. I also made it very clear that monsters are not real they are only in the imagination and like the story we created. It bridges the gap from reality to imagination. Hope this helps.

3
0