favours4u
favours4u asks:
Q:

My 8-year-old daughter is doing something about combinations of 3 which equal to her age. Please help.

In Topics: Helping my child with math

|
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Favours4u,

Your question is a bit vague so I am going to guess at the answer.

In math, a combination is an arrangement in which order does not matter.  In other words, combination can only applies to addition and multiplication but not subtraction and division.  Based on this definition of combination, I think the three combinations that equal your child age of 8 is

Combination 1:
1 + 7 = 8
7 + 1 = 8

Combination 2
2 + 6 = 8
6 + 2 = 8

Combination 3
3 + 5 = 8
5 + 3 = 8

I hope these are the answers.

Vicki

0
0

Thanks for using JustAsk! In addition to the previous answer you received, I also want to suggest that you try editing your answer by adding a little more information. We're better able to assist if we're clear on what the question is asking.

Thanks!

0
0
sangoku
sangoku writes:
We can take q= something r=3 and qCr=8
qCr= q!/3!(q-3)!
q!=-12/1.2.3...q-1

0
0
This sounds a little like the brain teaser about the party, where one guest asks the age of the host's 3 children.

The host tells the guest that the product  of his kids ages is 72 and the sum of their ages is the same as the the house number.  They know the house number but ask for more information.  The host says that the oldest likes strawberry ice cream.  This provided enough information for the guest is able to figure out the ages.

Answer:  The oldest child is 8.
First factor is 72.  72= 1*2*2*2*3*3.  Combine these factors into 3 ages, you should find 11 combinations of the factor of 72.  

By adding all the combinations we find (2 6 6 ) and (3 3 8 ) both add up to 14 so the house number is 14, then they ask for more information when the host says that the oldest likes strawberry ice cream which tells us that there is a oldest.  2 6 6 - shows that there is a youngest and the elder are the same age, so then we know that the ages of the 3 kids are 3 3 and 8.

I'm not sure that this is what you are looking for and I'm not sure that I even understand this problem, however, it is one that I found as a brain teaser for 8 year old kids and it seems like something that your daughter may have seen in the classroom.  

I've included a link that has this brain teaser along with a few others that you may find interesting.

0
0