Africanmom
Africanmom asks:
Q:

My 8 year old daughter keeps stealing!!!

Earlier this year I was horrified to learn that my daughter took something from her best friend.  The situation was handled in the following matter:  1)She had to return the stolen item 2)She had to apologise in person to her friend 3)She was made well aware of the consequences of stealing 4)I tried to understand why she stole in the first place. I thought we sorted out the problem, because she clearly understood why stealing was wrong and shown remose for what she did.  Yesterday my friend dropped a bomb on me telling me that there was another incident at school as she stole some collectors cards from a classmate and gave it to her best friend.  The classmates confronted her and she denied taking anything!!!  She also did not mention anything to me!!!  She has everything a little girl could ask for, so I really do not understand why she keeps stealing.  We have a loving home, financially we are very blessed and she is popular at school.  She had some emotional adjustment problems in grade 1, but she's finished grade 2 with a distinction in maths (she was very proud).  I must mention that her brother performs well in school without much effort, but she has to work very hard, and she had homework classes in the afternoon this year and she admitted that the classes was not a waste of time because of her distinction. She was also bullied by a grade 5 girl, but this we have sorted out with the school.  Please help! She's a typical right brain child.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Hand in Hand

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this challenging behavior. I hope a recent teleseminar our Founder recorded on "Lying, Cheating and Stealing," will give you some helpful support.

Juli Idleman
Hand in Hand Program Director
www.handinhandparenting.org
0
0

Anonymous