patrn52
patrn52 asks:
Q:

Help with my 8 year old son with retaining and comprehending information/reading and math

My 8 year old son is having a hard time retaining, comprehending and memorizing. He had a bad experience with 1st and part of 2ND grade. The teacher labeled him one of the" bad kids", and was not interested in teaching him allowing him to walk around the classroom not insisting he do his work, ect. I had him tested and he did not have ADD/ADHD, he has a learning disability in cognitive perception, not severe enough to get help from the school. I need help trying to teach him his multiplication tables, it's as though he's not able to learn them like I did, he told me today, "I just have a problem remembering" is there anyone out there that can help me, with this, the teachers want me to get him retested and start him on medication. This seems so extreme, family is not very supportive and now I'm
at a loss, fighting my family and the school system. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. How can I help my son and keep his self confidence from being destroyed, which seems to be where we are headed?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

Most of us have areas of academic attainment that are strengths and weaknesses. For example, I am a visual learner while my one friend is a strong auditory learner.  Ask the school to help to determine with your assistance what is your son's preferred learning mode. (Some of us even need a multi-modal approach, too)

Then help to enhance his skill development by playing to his strengths. If he is an auditory learner then he can make up his own songs and record them for math facts, as an example. Visual learners often like hands on activities that are unique and colorful (such as blocks, puzzles and markers)

Here are additional websites and information:

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Could_You_Write_Down/

http://www.education.com/reference/article/adjust-teaching-types-learners-visual/

I stumbled upon some websites that offer practice. Some have a nominal fee.  Education.com does not endorse anyone product or websites in JustAsk, this is for information purposes only.

http://www.mathplayground.com/index.html
http://www.abcteach.com
http://www.awesomelibrary.org/Classroom/Mathematics/Elementary_School_Math/Elementary_School_Math.html

0
0

Dperales
Dperales writes:
Try this website maybe you can find answers and help for your son. I have the same situation and as I was browsing the internet, I came accross this program. I am going to give it a try and hopefully helps my 8 yr old daughter as I am going through the same situation. Best of luck for both of us.

0
0
Sounder
Sounder writes:

I had the same issue with my child. My husband and I decided to home school her for a couple of years. Their are many programs out there that may be able to help. The one I was most impressed with was Essential Learning Institute in Pennsylvania, This program really help my child retain information, comprehension tremendously improved, and confidence. It has been much prayer and the help of this program that has given our child a brighter future. Never give up, you can do it!

0
0
MRS.CB
MRS.CB writes:
You can write a letter to the school board and have your son evaluated again my daughter was diagnosed with a learning disability also adhd her teacher help push it through i also didn't want to do the meds but at some point its not fair to them her self-esteem was ruined she was failing every subject i decided to give the meds a try also what i did was call around town for a child psyh and a great program to get her back on board so i discovered a place called the friendship house its amazing she has a counselor to help her with her self-esteem again also she see the dr. for her meds we started her out on a low dosage then gradually increased it just to fit her needs in a 4 month time period she went from a pre-k reading to a 3rd grade level she's in 2nd im proud of her now were working on her math skills hope this helped

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Some children have difficulty with picturing (visualizing) letters, numbers, etc. which can affect their reading comprehension and their math.  A wonderful program and institute for specifically helping with these issues is the Lindamood Bell Institute: www.lindamoodbell.com
Hope you find the answers you need.  Know it can be a frustrating process but your child will be greatly rewarded with your efforts.

0
0
moisescabrera
moisescabrera writes:
My two sons have autism and I have had to adapt instruction.
I found out a program (BigBrainz-TIMEZ ATTACK)  on multiplication.com website.
It is a video game that teaches addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Try it you will like it!!!

0
0
ninas800000
ninas800000 writes:
I am having the same problem with my 8 year old daughter.  Has anyone done any research on diet & allergies pertaining to learning disorders?    My daughter has always had light eczema, and a few other skin issues.  Nothing I would call extreme but when I put it all together and recall what I feel like after eating certain things it seems to make sense that changing her diet would make a difference.  When we work on homework together she seems to be in a fog more than anything.  No matter how many times we go over things she can't seem to remember letter sounds, the correct way to right or read letters & numbers, etc.  Could allergies be causing this brain fog?

0
0
tcolumbus1
tcolumbus1 writes:
Look for cd's or dvds that teach multiplication in song or jingles. My son has sensory disorder (check into it). He learns really well with songs. You can find used materials on ebay or good prices on amazon.com

0
0
TCJ
TCJ writes:
Not sure if you found help yet or not.  My son struggles too, but after much drilling and practice he finally got it.  He also has trouble retaining information, but once he learns it he never forgets it.
Every summer we continue to drill him the basics.
I would just use regular looseleaf paper, and write the times tables out starting with 2, 3, 4's, ( he understood the 1 times table).  and left the answer blank, than had him fill in the ones he new.
That way he felt good about at least knowing some of them.  It gave him confidence, encouraged him that he can retain them.
Then I showed him a short cut , of adding the answer to 2, 3 or 4 to get the next answer.  For ex: 2 x 4 = 8, so take the 8 and add it to 2=10, the 10 is the sum for 2x5, etc.
I hope your son get over this hump/obstacle soon.  Then you'll both be happy with his progress.

0
0