sallen608
sallen608 asks:
Q:

I have an 8 yr. old son with ADHD and he gets super hyper in restaurants.  How can I get him to sit down and eat his food?

In Topics: ADHD & attention issues

|

Go early, take games to play or crayons, have some idea of what you want to order, take walks while waiting, sit, eat and go.  When he is older, you can practice staying longer, letting him make menu choices, or ordering dessert.  Now I would take it a step at a time.

2
0

lynellen
lynellen writes:
Does your son have auditory or visual sensitivity.  Some children are super sensitive to too much noise or too much light, particularly overhead florescent lights.  You may want to locate before hand a table in a quieter part of the restaurant, away from too much noise and too much light.  You might want to try a "sit and move" cushion that allows movement while sitting in the chair (www.therapro.com). Give him gum to chew or something to suck on (straw in his drink or sucking on hard candy).  A good book that could has great ideas: Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller.

0
0