batangek
batangek asks:
Q:

My 8 yr old daughter refuses to communicate, has frequent fears and affects her performance in school.

My daughter is 8 yrs. old who is now attending grade 3. She is very loving and caring child. She loves drawings and reading but at times when being asked about what she read she refuses to answer and will become withdrawn. She is usually shy to people and will remain quiet. In school her teachers told us that she is good in some activities but will not participate like raising her hands or becoming the leader of a group. She is good in spelling, art, at times in science. Her teachers noticed that when they asked her questions she will not answer or say anything, when instructed to do a simple math question she forgets what was taught to her after few minutes. Her being so quiet hinders her to be active in school and made her performance poor. At home she loved playing with her brothers but when we asked her about school she will not answer nor communicate with us. I asked her if she is scared and she nodded but very reluctant to express her fears to us or anybody else. Is my child suffering from ADHD or selective mutism or anxiety disorder? How can we help her?
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Special needs, ADHD & attention issues

|

Dear Batangek:

Selective mutism would be on the list but low since she talks at home and school is the issue.  Time to meet with her teachers and the school psychologist to review the classroom dynamics and be sure that she is not being bullied etc...Apart from that, i would discuss this with your pediatrician.

0
0
Anonymous