valentino_oc
valentino_oc asks:
Q:

9 year old boy chasing girl at school

My son is 9 years old and just started fourth grade. He is always telling me he wants a girlfriend and what girls at school he thinks are beautiful. There is one girl in particular that he has been chasing around the playground and trying to kiss. This has happened a few times. Today, it happened again and the girl tripped and fell. The girls mother has now gotten involved and told their teacher. My son's teacher told me it needs to stop or he's going to get suspended or even expelled (which I obviously don't want to happen). The school does not tolerate that type of behavior. I've told him to stop many times and have told him the consequences. His teacher told him today that he needs to stop as well. He said he will not do it again, but I am afraid he's saying that to get me off his back and I'm afriad that it will happen again. Is there anything else I can do to make sure this will not happen again?

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com

Hopefully your son has gotten the message and he understands that he can't chase girls at school or he will get into trouble. Do your best to work with the teacher and school counselor to get your son interested in doing something different at recess. Are there kids shooting baskets or playing kick-ball, for example. Maybe if he is in a more structured activity during recess he will forget about chasing the girls.

If you would like to speak with a counselor about this issue, please call or e-mail our Hotline. We are here 24/7 for parents and children of all ages. Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0