Anonymous
Q:

Why does it seem as though my 9 year old child has forgotten previously learned knowledge?

Since the beginning of 3rd grade, it seems as though my 9 year old has begun to lose the knowledge she previously attained.  Even simple math (9-5=?  or  3+5=?) seems to be challenging for her...she is still counting on her fingers for very simple problems (I never say anything about this because I don't want her to feel bad about it - and I help her with math flash cards), her reading skills have slowly gone downhill also.  My 6 year old will sit next to her and is able to answer some of the math questions before the 9 year old. I'm at a loss as to what I should / shouldn't do...
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs

|

From what you have described, I can see why you are concerned.  I would start with your child's teacher.  Ask her what she has observed.  In many schools, you as the parent can request a screening.  What this means is that the school will test to see if there is a possibility of a learning problem.  If there is, then further testing will need to take place.  Ask them also test her hearing and vision.  You want to rule out as many factors as possible when trying to find the cause of her slowing down.  The results might shed a little more light on as to what is happening.  If she does qualify for additional service, having her start at an earlier age can make all the difference.

Note that testing done on the school level can take several months.  You can have it done privately, but that can be costly.  However, check with your health insurance as it might be covered under your policy.  In the meantime, keep working with her.  

1
0