triciajene
triciajene asks:
Q:

How can I help my 9 year old do classwork?

I have a bright 9 year old son who is struggling in school. His teacher has come to me on many occasions, including a 1 hour meeting, to let me know of his not using time wisely. I have explained that he is bored with the monotony of 5-7 worksheets a day in reading alone. I suggested mixing things up, using authentic literature, graphic organizers, projects, whatever she can that is not the same old worksheets the kids do everyday. She will not change.
He, for the first time, has said almost daily that he hates school! He is not the only one! I have found that many of the boys in the class are in the same boat. There are only 8 kids in his classroom so I find it inexcusable that she cannot mix it up and try new things.
Rewards and consequences have not worked for my son. Some days, he has a terrible day at school and then we struggle through hours of work. Not because it is difficult, but because he doesn't want to do it. Some of it is quite easy!
I also work at this small school so I am asking for advice and ideas on how to help him to survive the school year. You may think that surviving the year is not the way to go but there is not enough space to give all the details. He will not go to this school next year if something does not change so yes, we need to survive the remainder of the year.
I appreciate any ideas!

Thanks
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|

This is a tough one with you working at the same school.  You have to remember that you are first a parent, so don't be afraid to do what is best for your son.  Chances are your son's teacher is not someone you would hang out with, so don't worry so much about hurt feelings.  

Here are some suggestion that may help you handle this situation in a professional way.

If your school has a reading coach, ask them to help the teacher.  Calmly explain the situation and ask if the reading coach can go in an model some lessons, plan lessons, or offer advice on classroom management.

If your son is bright and bored in class, consider asking the ESE specialist to test him for gifted.  If he qualifies, then the school has paper work that binds them to meeting your son's needs.

Depending on your relationship with the principal, go and ask him/her the best way to handle the situation.  Be prepared to give examples to what you like and don't like about the teacher.

If all else fails, you and your son might have to suffer through the rest of the year.  Explain to him that is one of those times you just have to play the game.  I would make sure that next year you want to pick your son's teacher.

1
1

Elizebeth
Elizebeth writes:
To help your son you could maybe get chocolates and for every peice of paper he compleates he gets a chocolate.

1
1