ellieka
ellieka asks:
Q:

My 9 year old daughter is afraid to go to any room in the house without me. we have moved into a new home thinking that would help and its worse.

She is  afraid in other places but tries her best to go into other rooms but will always call a friend to go with her. But when she is home I must go with her everywhere. She cant even shower on her own. I am a single mom  we have a dog thinking that would help it didnt. I am loosing my mind over this can anyone help me its been years of this and I dont know what to do?

|

Dear Ellieka,

We suggest you make an appointment for a mental health evaluation for your daughter as soon as possible. If you have a pediatrician you can ask him/her for a referral to a licensed child and family psychologist. Or you can contact your local United Way's 211 Information line for a referral in your local area.

In the meantime please check out our website for parents: www.parenting.org  From the website you can e-mail a counselor or you can call and speak with a counselor for immediate assistance. Parenting is a tough job and we are here to help. Take care and best wishes to you and your daughter!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

1
0

chubbyl3l3
chubbyl3l3 writes:
Lots of kids go through afraid times,  for no good reason, mine lasted until the day I got married and then my new husband had to sleep with a light on because I was deathly afraid of the dark. Its so horrible for the person going through this, I had a parent who thought only of herself and never cared to get to the bottom of my problem, naturally I learned as an adult after seeing a few psychiatrists who blatantly told me how dysfunctional my family was. I would take a look at myself and not her and try to figure out what's really going on, don't lose your mind but help save hers.  If you can't figure it out, they do have pediatric psychiatrists who specialize in children who are frightened.   They have someone at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, call them and maybe they can recommend someone wherever you are living if necessary.

1
0