ellieka asks:

My 9 year old daughter is afraid to go to any room in the house without me. we have moved into a new home thinking that would help and its worse.

She is  afraid in other places but tries her best to go into other rooms but will always call a friend to go with her. But when she is home I must go with her everywhere. She cant even shower on her own. I am a single mom  we have a dog thinking that would help it didnt. I am loosing my mind over this can anyone help me its been years of this and I dont know what to do?

Dear Ellieka,

We suggest you make an appointment for a mental health evaluation for your daughter as soon as possible. If you have a pediatrician you can ask him/her for a referral to a licensed child and family psychologist. Or you can contact your local United Way's 211 Information line for a referral in your local area.

In the meantime please check out our website for parents: www.parenting.org  From the website you can e-mail a counselor or you can call and speak with a counselor for immediate assistance. Parenting is a tough job and we are here to help. Take care and best wishes to you and your daughter!

Cynthia, Counselor