annalease
annalease asks:
Q:

My 9 year old daughter won't stop stealing

It all started when she was just 5 years old when her teacher called me in to have a word. A girl in the same class had noticed her doll had been taken so the teacher asked the class if anyone had taken it and to own up but nobody did so they searched everyone's draws and it was in my daughters.
Since then she's taken more things out of other kids coat pockets etc, and, has also taken money from family members, again from purses and pockets. Recently we had to take her to our local chemist to show him all the things I had found hidden away under her bed that she admitted to taking from his shop. She says she has no idea why she does it, she just wants them. We're at our wits end and very worried for her future if she continues to behave like this. I dread letting her go to friends houses for fear of what she'll steal! She is always very upset and sorry when caught but she still continues.

|

Some people steal out of compulsion, and this mental disorder is called kleptomania.  You should take your daughter for an evaluation by a pediatric therapist as soon as possible.

Suggested reading:

Kleptomania

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kleptomania/DS01034

1
0