Angel1205
Angel1205 asks:
Q:

My 9 year old is day dreaming in school. How can I help him?

Most of the time he is dreaming in the writing time. If I give an extra writing work at home he is doing the same. I have to keep on nagging him to finish the work. He is falling behind in work because of this. How can I help him?
In Topics: Helping my child with writing, Helping my child with school work and home work, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dr.Susan

I have a couple of thoughts for you:

1. Writing may be difficult for him, so he is daydreaming because he is having a hard time either with the actual writing, or with coming up with ideas. Ask the teacher to give him extra support, as well as shorter, easier topics and see if that helps.

2. Have the teacher or a specialist in school evaluate his writing skills--perhaps he needs some extra support and then he won't need to daydream as much.

3. Break down homework time into shorter periods, with breaks in between. It's hard to stay focused when you are doing something you don't like or that is difficult for you. Have him work for 15 minutes then take a five minute break and then go back to it.

4. give him LOTS of compliments and hugs!! The more positive you feel about him, the better he will feel about himself and the more motivated he will feel to do work--even when it is difficult.

Dr. Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book! "The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask"

0
0

Anonymous