Leilaunee
Leilaunee asks:
Q:

How can I help my 9 year old with her reading comprehension?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

One of the best things you can do is read with your child, read to your child, or read the same material as your child.  I just finished reading a book call the Reading Promise about a father reading over 3,000 consecutive nights to his daughter.  They started reading when she was nine and didn't stop until she left to go to college.

By reading the same text, you can have conversations about the comprehension skills you used while reading to help you understand the text.  You also have the same reference points to have rich conversations about the characters, plots, settings, and solutions.  This can lead to you sharing your thoughts about what is write or wrong.

If you are new to this concept, I suggest looking through Jim Trelease's book The Read Aloud Handbook.  It is filled with suggestions on what to do, how to do it and what stories he would recommend. Be sure to read a wide variety of genres both fiction and nonfiction.  

Once you get started, you and your child will enjoy this reading time together.  And you can easily and naturally show your daughter what good readers do.  If you yourself are unsure of what the different reading comprehension strategies are and what they mean, please check out some of the apps we sale (for only #2.99) at LessonPop.com.  

Happy Reading!
Barb K
www.LessonPop.com
1
0