yedna
yedna asks:
Q:

What can I do to help my 9 year old son make and keep friends?

I am worried about my 9 soon to be 10 year old.  He seems to have trouble making and keeping friends.  There appears to be a "clique" of boys in his class and he is not in this "clique."  One of the more popular boys teased another popular boy who missed a soccer shot that "even my son was able to make that shot."  The neighbor that plays with my son and attends his school/class does not play with him at recess.  My son wants and enjoys playing with other boys but he seems intimidated by ones his age.  He has told me that at recess he plays with some 3rd graders that he has identified as friends.  Should I be concerned?  What about the neighbor who seems to ignore him at school and play with him after school only - should I encourage him to be friends with this kid?  I unfortunately do not have a lot of friends (actually only one) of my own.  Am I a bad role model/example for him? I know peer groups are important at this age and just do not know what to do to encourage him.  I tried to sign him up in Karate and he is not interested.  He is in swimming classes though.  Please offer some assistance.  It breaks my heart to think that he may be lonely.  He is an only child and his father is infrequently involved.
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|