missrenee5babies
missrenee5b... asks:
Q:

Why is my 9 year old son stealing?

My 9 year old son is starting to steal more and lying about It. It started out with stealing snacks and stealing things around the house. Recently,he took a classmate's Nintendo DS and lied and said he doesn't know what we're talking about. Before he came home from School his teacher called and said the student said my son was the only one who know he brought it to school. When my son came home, I didn't say anything I searched him and I did't find anything. A couple of days  later, I noticed my gum was missing out my room. I went to his room to search under his bed and guess what I found,the student's Nintendo DS.  After getting punished and all, I found out he has stole snacks again this Is so frustrating.

The schools says his has a behavior problem at School,but I was never seeing behavior problems at home until now.  It's getting worse and I think he needs help before it's too late. He is very loved,gets attentions,and wants for nothing. What could be the problem, any suggestions?

|

Have you asked your son why he is stealing? Is he stealing food because he is hungry? Did he take the DS because he wants one of his own?

You are right you want to get a better understanding of the situation before it gets really out of control.

If your son has never had an assessment in the past, consider having one done by a clinical psychologist. Your pediatrician or even the school counselor should be able to give you a referral for a counseling agency in your area.

If the teachers are noticing behavior problems at school that you aren't seeing at home it might be a good idea to talk with the teachers. It's important that your son sees a connection between home and school and that you and the teachers are communicating with each other.

Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000

0
0