jbuleje
jbuleje asks:
Q:

Our 9 year old son still wets the bed, and doesn't even wake up until the next day, is this common or has he become "lazy" and doesn't care?

In Topics: Bedwetting

|

If your son's bedwetting is a new problem, talk with his regular health care provider as soon as possible, as he might have a bladder infection or other medical problem causing his symptoms.

If bedwetting has been going on since your son was potty trained, most likely he sleeps too deeply to feel the urge to urinate at night.  If you have not addressed this with your son's regular health care provider, make an appointment.  Your son should have his urine checked to rule out a disease.  Also, he should have a kidney and bladder ultrasound to make sure that his urinary tract is anatomically sound.   If everything checks out all right, your son's health care provider might suggest treatment if it is desired by you and your son.  Bedwetting at age 9 years can be embarrassing and might adversely affect your son's self-esteem.

Suggested reading:

Bedwetting

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/component/content/article/456

1
0

the6kaisers
the6kaisers writes:
Talk to your pediatrician. It may be a hormonal inbalance that needs to be corrected. A family member had a similar situation and when he was treated (hormone supp. for short time) It made his bladder catch up with the rest of his body.

0
0
maegan87
maegan87 writes:
i am a 24 year old female.. and i we the bed until i was 8. My mom never knew why her kids wet the bed..At the age of 8 my mom left her husband at the time and we moved.. once that happened we stopped. I nor my siblings or mom realized just how hard it was living with him. We were all terrified of him. he was a bully and hit us ,beat us when she was gone at work.. and we were all afraid of him now that im older i realize it was the stressful environment we lived in. Once he was taken out of the picture there was no fear no stress. No worries of who he would hurt next.. what he would do .. what WE would do wrong. Im not saying its something serious as that i am however saying maybe there is something stressful going on with him.. someone at school is hard on him.. more than likely he is stressed or worried about something. Perhaps when he has a good day he doesnt wet the bed? Also with him sleeping through it and knowing it when he wakes, maybe he sleeps too hard ? Or even dreams he goes to the bathroom and goes back to bed. either way just remember not to show him if you are upset about it or tired of cleaning up the mess..that will just make him afraid to sleep at night and he will go to bed worrying he will wet the bed again... which is again more stress and when he finally goes to sleep he will probably have another accident . good luck!

0
0
Gonda
Gonda writes:
This is not as rare as you think, your son is probable not lazy and as most kids they care very much about what parent think of them, he might still have an immature bladder.  I  ask my son one morning after he had wet his bed. His response was "How do I know I peed I was sleeping".

0
0
omichael1
omichael1 writes:
check this out with your doctor.

0
0
YStephens
YStephens writes:
My son was six and having the same problem. Our pediatrician said he was just in a deep sleep and the brain didn't get the signal for him to wake up and use the restroom. He possibly was having the dream of using the restroom, so he thought he really was.
My son's pediatrician recommended a bed wetting alarm. I recommend one that vibrates and an alarm.The alarm will alert you too so you can help your child wake up and use the restroom, change clothes and sheets if needed. We used "Wet Stop" for his alarm. His brain was trained to recognize the physical need to use the restroom and wake up to use the restroom. He stopped bed wetting in about a month. I'm keeping the wet stop in case he reverts back to having bed wetting and for my grandchildren one day. I bought ours on E-bay for about $20. Just search the net to be educated about the bed wetting systems available and the best cost. I'm really frugal as you will see what the other systems cost.
Good luck. Hope this information helps your son.

0
0