treasure77
treasure77 asks:
Q:

What do I do about my 9 yr old son who was caught stealing and then lied about it.

To make matters worse it wasn't even our money. His dad is an axillary police officer and was doing fund raising for them. He had the money counted and banded up and in the donation jar ready to give to the axillary police at the next meeting.
He noticed earlier in the evening that the money wasn't in the rubber band anymore and asked us if we had messed with it. We said no and my husband was headed out the door when he noticed so he didn't bother checking.  
That following morning he was getting ready to leave and decided to put a new rubber band on it and noticed that there was over 100 dollars missing.
My husband confronted my son about the money. He admitted to taking it but when asked where it was he wouldn't tell his dad. I went upstairs and he then tried to say he didn't take it so he didn't know where it was. I told him to give me his wallet and piggy bank and I found the money.
To make it even worse I found only half of it and my son let me believe that was all of it until I gave it to my husband who proceeded to tell me it wasn't all there. My son had the rest hidden in a pouch behind his bed. So not only did he steal and lie, he didn't even come clean when confronted with the evidence of his guilt.
I told him he was grounded for a month no friends no TV or video games. Is that too harsh? We will be removing both from his room today. I don't know what else to do. I want my son to be a moral upstanding person and this has made me fear that he won't be.

|

Hand in Hand

Dear Treasure77,

I hope listening to this audio by Hand in Hand Founder, Patty Wipfler, on "Lying, Cheating and Stealing: When Good Kids Behave Badly" will be helpful while you're thinking about this situation with your son.

Juli Idleman
Hand in Hand Parenting
www.handinhandparenting.org
1
1