MariselaP
MariselaP asks:
Q:

How can I help my 9 yr. old son to concentrate in school.

How can I help my 9 yr. old son to concentrate in school. His teacher tells me that he gets distracted really quick, specially when they have a test, he doesn't focus, he wonders a lot, he turns around to see what the other kids are doing and when he sees everybody turn in the test, he finishes real quick and fails. When teacher asked him to re-do it, he does good. She tells me that his problem is concentration and distraction.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Learning issues and special needs

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

It would appear that the concerns you have regarding your sons ability to attend in class may warrant the need for a formal meeting with the staff that serves his educational needs to try and figure out if these behaviors are typical or cause for further study. The team, with your assistance, will help to determine if the inattention  and distractible behaviors are impeding his ability to learn as compared to age and grade peers.  They also may suggest some outside consultations, such as with his pediatrician or to have his vision and hearing checked.

There are many reasons why children can become off task within a classroom. Hopefully with everyone's input and perhaps further investigation - a plan can be put in place to help your son within the classroom.

Hope this helps-

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0