dana4unc
dana4unc asks:
Q:

Are 90 min classes too long for high School?

My child wakes up at 6:00, leaves the house at 6:40 to get to school by 7:15. she has three 90 min classes (7 min between) lunch for 20 min and one more 90 min class. School ends at 2:15. Lacrosse practice begins at 2:45 ends at 4:30 and she arrives home by 5:15. She has one or two nights for games ...getting in as late as 10:30. She also has yearbook and service club activities. I think if the class is 90 min then there should not be an hour or two of homework. I like that she has activities and sports are healthy but is the schedule is grueling and sleep is sacrificed. Why do they spend more time in class and still have so much studying to do? My sons went to prep school and classes were shorter, the did study 5 nights a week for 2 hours BUT, they had plenty of time for activities,sports, and socializing...wy do public schools seem to waste so much time?

|

I hear your frustration, and I'm sure your daughter feels the stress as well.  I don't know if the problem is the 90 minute classes, but instead it might be the amount of homework.  Some schools have limits on the amount of homework given to students.  So check with your daughter's school to see if there is a policy in place.  Sometimes teachers don't realize that they are giving that much homework or don't consider how much homework the other subject area teachers are giving.  I would call the school to inquire about the homework policy, and be sure to share your concerns about the amount your daughter is bringing home.  

As for the 90 minute classes, they can be great or very bad.  It depends on the teacher.  That big chuck of time can allow teachers to create and deliver interesting lessons.  However, if the teacher is not that interesting or just a bad teacher, 90 minutes can seem like forever.  Sometimes the teachers give students time during these longer classes to start their assignments.  Some students do not use that time wisely.

Keep in mind that as long as your daughter is keeping up with her assignments and enjoying her high school experience, she will be fine especially with your support.

2
0

No Child Left Behind

This is the main culprit really in all schools nation wide. Too much government influence and control really puts schools in a bind with deadlines, policies, benchmarks, and before you know it, they have lost the very meaning of being a teacher and "teaching" and even what learning truly is. Homework is meant to reinforce a concept, not to torture children or make their lives more stressful. I went to school back in the 80's and early 90's. I never had AR or any of these expensive programs. What I did have was caring teachers. And this is what truly made the difference. If I needed the extra work or practice, it was given to me ( not everybody). In those days, the teachers were given freedom to teach (which is a talent in itself) and they regulated what they taught ( which is better b/c it completes the lessons and of course many more reasons...) Our nation is now filled with educators being told what to teach and how to teach it and to make matters worse, they are held responsible for the failed system if they do not produce the so called "results". Yes, I homeschool my child and this freedom is a freedom in itself. Why? Because nobody is telling me what to teach ( except our core curriculum books) And because there is little pressure, we are allowed to truly learn concepts and things of relativity. However, we live in a culture that is based on "systems". And what is truly lacking is an education on these systems. For example, credit reports, mortgages, taxes, grants, etc. How many students come out of school prepared for these "must haves"? Not too many.

2
0
celine18garcia
celine18gar... writes:
yes.......you should say to your child,you should have rules in your child.like no games no t.v. at school days.

1
1