adrach78
adrach78 asks:
Q:

How can I get my 9th grader interested in school?

My 9th grade son is very intelligent and has been told by many people.  However, I don't understand.  He will not do his work.  Then he tells me that he does not know how to do the work.  This is the last 9 weeks, and he has already failed 2 classes from the first semester.  We got report cards last week and he is failing 3 more classes this semester.  I warned him about repeating the 9th grade, but it does not seem to phase him.  He is talking to a counselor, and even the counselor is impressed with his level of intelligence.  What am I missing?  Then he calls my 3rd grader a nerd for indulging in knowledge.  Is this a freshman thing or is there a possible deeper problem?
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Thank you for writing to JustAsk!

Any time a child has a change in behavior this should be a "red flag".  

First, you may wish to check with experts who can help to determine physical and academic development. (Pediatrician, School Psychologist or School Counselor, etc.)

Then with much more information available, you can meet with the school counselor to explore the next course of action. does your son need to have more structure during his day? Mentoring or tutoring? Involvement with outside activities to balance the work load?

Here is an article that may be helpful: http://www.nasponline.org/publications/cq/pdf/cq_v38n1_academic_motivation_parents.pdf

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0

mariaeves
mariaeves writes:
Sometimes we have to ask ourselves as adults if you were made to do something you don't like doing how did you feel?

Has someone asked him why he doesn't like these classes?  Find out why hes feeling this way?

If you ask a youngster what they wanna be when they grow up they like to learn things pertaining to that interest. They start dream building if you dream build them.    Everyone has an interest as a youngster.  He needs to be heard.  Just sayin...

1
0
mrdillard437
mrdillard437 writes:
tell him to get up and go to school and get an education cause u need one

1
0