sianmrtn
sianmrtn asks:
Q:

What can be done about my son's bullying?!

My son,9 has been bullied up until a few months ago, he was beaten up at school and out of school by the same 3 boys,I had no choice but to tell him to defend himself and I did speak to the head who said to my son in my presence: its part of school life, some children hurt animals, some children hurt younger children, thats just the way it is! Now my Son fights back and for some reason, when he gets hit or kicked, no one sees it, when he fights back, he gets caught and always gets put in the quiet room the following day during playtime where he has to copy writing the dictionary. He doesnt want to go to school anymore, I know he has to and I feel bad for sending him. I would go and speak to the Head again but I dont like her attitude and she punishes Kids that are being bullied by telling them to stay off the football field where the bullies play, although the child that is being bullied likes to play football too, instead of sending the bully off! everything is the other way round with her and I just dont feel as if I would get any further. The last time I was there was in November 2010 and only last month when I was going through my photos/videos on my mobile, I found a recording of the whole conversation i had with the head that day and her saying that some children hurt younger children, others hurt animals. I did not record it but my daughter who was one and a half at the time did, obviously not on purpose, should I report her?
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Bullying and teasing

|

Bullying is not acceptable and the impact on your son is creating negative feelings about school. There are a number of resources on Education.com on bullying for educators and parents. First, I would recommend that the school adopt a NO Bullying Proclamation and include appropriate interventions, such as counseling and mentoring for bullies and victims.
0
1

0
0

This has to be a very frustrating and confusing situation for you and your child. We are very sorry you are going through this. If you are not getting the results you are looking for at the school, then you need to take your concerns to the next level. Hopefully the superintendent of the school district will be concerned and will take you seriously. If necessary you may have to let the superintendent listen to the voice message.

The teacher who made those comments does not seem to be educated on the topic of bullying and child development. Hurting animals and other children is not a normal part of school life. Hopefully this is an isolated case and most of the other teachers are more knowledgeable. If not, the school needs to implement anti-bullying and a no put-down program, such as the other expert answer mentioned.

Please contact our Hotline for parents for more support and if you need to talk about any parenting related issue. You may also find some valuable resources regarding bullying in the classroom on our website: www.parenting.org

Take care and best wishes to you and your son,

Cynthia, Crisis Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0
SingleMommy
SingleMommy writes:
This is outrageous! The school must have taken measures to prevent and punish bullying accordingly.
Recording them will not help you in a court of law. You must fight this battle using outside help such as:
I would suggest you call a media source such a TV station, newspaper. Then, they (the school) will be motivated to do something about it.
Nothing hurts more than bad publicity for these people.
Also, I would advise you to enroll your kid in some martial arts so he can defend himself. I would tell him to never hit first, but to be the one to finish it. It is outrageous that the teachers only punish him. It is egregious the argument they make to excuse this unacceptable behaviour: "children hurt other children, others hurt animals." On what planet do they live????
Please take action immediately. Your son should not live one more day in this obscurity and fear. That might affect him in long run (as an adult).
Please take measures. Eye for an eye.

0
0