lilmomma1978
lilmomma1978 asks:
Q:

How do i know when to take action?

My child was accused of sexually coming on to an older child, since then I have talked to parents of children my child has played with, all of them agreed that my child is not capable of this, the father of the other child wishes to ignore the situation at hand. I have taken my child to a counselor who has told me I need to believe my child. she is showing no signs of lying. While at school the other child has spread this accusation throughout the entire school. my child is now harrassed daily by children at her school and all she tells me is she doesnt feel safe talking to the teachers or principal and counselor. my child is only 10 the other is 11. What do I do from here??

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/bull...

|

At this point all you can do is believe your daughter and the counselor. Let the situation rest. Continue to teach your daughter appropriate boundaries when it comes to sexuality and continue to teach your values and beliefs. Try to keep communication open between the two of you, so if something like this happens again in the future, she will feel like she can talk to you and trust you. Also, continue to keep a positive relationship with your child's school. Don't criticize her teachers and principal in her presence. Your daughter needs to know the adults are there to support her and that she should not be afraid of them.

It is unfortunate that the other child is continuing to spread rumors about your daughter. Hopefully the school is talking to him about this and trying to put a stop to it going any further. The fact that his parent is ignoring the situation could be part of why he is continuing to try to get attention from this one incident.

Kids are not perfect, they make mistakes. Adults are here to teach children right from wrong and get them help when needed. By you taking your daughter to a counselor and taking action, she already knows that you will not ignore such behavior from her and that you do take it seriously. Bottom line is no one really knows what happened except your daughter and the other child. Take it as a learning experience and if something like this ever happens again you will be better equipped on how to handle it.

For more support please call or e-mail our Hotline. Counselors are available 24 hours, 7 days a week for parents and children. Our website listed below also has many parenting tips and ideas.
Take care and best wishes to you and your child!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
0
0