lifecoach asks:

"Activities to do with a 7 year old from abuse background having selfexpression issues".

In Topics: Depression, Friendships and peer relationships, Discipline and behavior challenges
> 60 days ago



Feb 19, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Dear Life Coach,

For a school-age child who is having difficulty expressing thoughts and feelings about previous abuse, I recommend considering alternative forms of expression, such as art. There are, of course, art therapists who are specially trained in the process of guiding and interpreting children's work, but other adults can learn to facilitate the process, too. I have included some links below detailing the art therapy profession, information on talking with children about their art, and a link to a highly recommended art therapy and activity guide book.

That said, if the child is exhibiting significant distress and difficulty related to their abuse, a pediatrician or other professional should be brought in to evaluate and recommend treatment options.

Good luck.

L. Compian, Ph.D.
Counseling Psychologist Expert Panel
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely