bubs08
bubs08 asks:
Q:

What  activities could I help interest an autistic child in?

i am just about to begin helping my friend, whom is a gym instructor, with 1 of her 'fit kids' program. in this session isnt really structured, its just playing games to keep kids active. they enjoy it!
in this program there's a 7yr old autistic boy. my friend finds it hard to keep him entertained, aswell as the rest of the class.
she's asked me to help out, because ive always wanted to work with special needs kids. i have done a tafe course in fitness, but i have not yet worked with any of these special needs kids. ive been reading up on autisim and i love it, but i was wondering if you would have any ideas in what activities he n i could do that will keep him interested?
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
What a wonderful program you are getting involved with! I bookmark special articles that I find on the internet that pertain to subjects that are pretty much "out of the box". Getting autistic children to engage in activities is an "out of the box" subject. I would like to share this very well written article with you:http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/03/fashion/03Fitness.html
I believe this article will share much light on your area on need. I hope that I have been of service to you. You and your gym instructor friend are doing "great works".
Keep it up!! It will only get better and the rewards will be priceless.

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com team

1
0
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hello!

What a great thing for you to be getting involved in!  I'm sure it will be really challenging but also really rewarding.  I happened to catch a documentary on HBO this weekend called "Autism:  The Musical" about a woman who runs a program for autistic kids in which they write and perform in their own stage performance.  I think you'd get a lot of great ideas from watching it.  The director of the program does a great job of connecting with the kids and helping them connect with each other.  I think it's going to run periodically on HBO for the next few weeks but it's also available "On Demand" if you have that service.

Let me know if it's helpful!

0
0
jinjohn218
jinjohn218 writes:
hi.....Engaging and keeping the interest of an autistic child can be a challenging experience. However there are several ways to do this, starting an infancy. Most autistic children are very interested in music, different sounds and being physically active.

0
0