smileychick919
smileychick... asks:
Q:

What are some activities following the Reggio Emilia approach that I could implement at home?

In Topics: Preparing my child for preschool

|
education.com writes:
The following answer was submitted to Education.com by Dr. Susan Lyon of the Innovative Teacher Project...

"The Reggio Emilia approach is interested in the competent child and offering environments where children can have time in small groups to explore materials. The approach cultivates the attitude of creativity in children. Materials used in classrooms that can be used in the home are: various kinds of paper, pens, writing tools, clay, wire, paint and more of course. The idea of children learning to connect materials and create from materials is exciting for children, especially when they use them as gifts and general communication to parents and friends. Having a small studio at home with the idea of this as a workshop fosters exploration, creativity, problem solving and relationships."

1
0
You can also learn more about Reggio Emilia preschools in the Education.com information center on the topic (see link below).

0
0
EmmiliaMom
EmmiliaMom writes:
There are so many ways to help your child at home using the Reggio Emilia approach to learning.  Start by making a Family Chain using construction paper (like you would a Christmas Chain) and glue family photos to some of the chain and don't forget your family pets!

Have a Book of the Month Club where you find a book that is interesting (no characters such a Dora the Explorer or Sesame Street) but REAL books with REAL contents at your child's age and level.  During the first week do a prediction chart of what your child THINKS the book is about.  Write ALL the child's ideas on a piece of paper and hang up the paper.  You could use a Bulletin Board (a word about those later!)  The next week do a picture walk and again write down ALL of your child's ideas about what she sees in the pictures.  
Week three read the story.  Week four ACT out the story.  
For Bulletin Boards you can make one for your Book of the Month and have your child's Predictions and even drawings about the book.  You can also have a journal page with attempting writing and pictures you can hang up (NO DITTO SHEETS!) Also on your bulletin board put REAL fabric as a cover and use pastels or NEUTRAL colors.  Studies have shown that this is VERY calming to a child as apposed to bright colors that stand out.  
For art play dough and various ways of making it.  You can add anything to play dough that you or your child can think of.  Add Koo laid, glitter ect.
Grow a garden.  Make ice cubes and put food coloring on them. Have a sensory table even if it is a dishpan and put worms (real) and dirt.  Research worms and read books about them.  Draw pictures of them.
Have a FORMAL lunch EVERYDAY using REAL dishes and glass and table cloths and  utensils.  And don't forget the flowers in the center!  This is Emilia Approach using REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES!!!!!!

1
0
GoTeach
GoTeach writes:
I recently had an interview at a Reggio Emilia School and I was told to come back for a second interview which will be based on teaching 2-3 year old students a lesson using the Reggio Emilia approach.  Will you be willing to help me out?  I have not worked at a Reggio Emilia School and because I want this position I need all the help I can get.  Playdough??  I want to impress but keep it short and simple due to attention spans. Ideas??? :(

0
0