Q:

When adding an apostrophe "s" to the end of a word, do you connect the "s" to the rest of the word?

"My daughter is in 3rd grade this year and just asked me if when writing in cursive and adding an apostrophe "s" to the end of a word, do you connect the "s" to the rest of the word? I had no idea what to tell her. I do, but is that correct?"

Asked by Dani after reading the article, "3rd Grade Writing: What Happens": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/third...
In Topics: Helping my child with writing, Helping my child with school work and home work

|
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
Hi Dani,
From what I can tell, it is incorrect to connect the letters separated by an apostrophe when writing in cursive. However, I don't think there is a clear rule, and I would advise asking your child's teacher to make sure that you are telling your child the correct rules. Hope that helps!

2
0
BruceDeitrickPrice
BruceDeitri... , Teacher writes:
Usually you'd finish the word with the s connected, then go back and drop in the apostrophe. But I noticed, just writing a few words myself, that one might want to pause at the end of the word, add the apostrophe, and then keep on writing, extending the s out of the previous letter as if there were no stop. In short, the s ends up looking as if it's part of the word. Compare don't, can't, etc.

0
1