SUMMER20
SUMMER20 asks:
Q:

ADHD AND DYSLEXIA

MY SON IS DYSLEXIC.  WHAT KIND OF READING PROGRAM SHOULD THE PUBLIC SCHOOL PROVIDE FOR HIM?  HE STRUGGLES WITH READING, WRITING AND SPELLING. HE WAS TAKING THE CORRECTIVE READING PROGRAM BUT WAS DISTRUPTIVE IN CLASS SO THEY KICKED HIM OUT OF THE PROGRAM.
Member Added on Apr 20, 2011
My son has dyslexic and adhd.  This year in 7th grade it is really hard from him.  He is avoiding doing his work/difficult task.  I am not sure if his adderall XR 25 mg is working great like it did when he first went on it many years ago.  1st quarter he made honor roll now he is barely make it.  He is not motivated in school.  How do I know if it's med or his dyslexic?  The school is not providing a dyslexic reading program for him.  He has low self esteen which is affecting his learning in school too.  What should I do?
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Dyslexia, ADHD & attention issues

|

Speak to your schools director of special services to see what is available for your son.  As a child diagnosed with ADD he is entitled to a 504 designation granting him services.  work with your pediatrician to be part of the school team to enable his support.  he may also benefit from private tutoring if that is possible.  Work on this aggressively to avoid later school issues. Get the administration of the school on your side, and best wishes for a great outcome.

1
0

dev1999
dev1999 writes:
I have Dyslexia and ADHD. I'm a sophomore in high school.
I remember 6 and 7th grade. It sucked, I hated being Dyslexic and I felt that no matter how hard I tried I'd just fail in school, which I did, so I stopped trying. My grades went down from a B to a D, towards the end of 7 grade. I got into music and stared playing the drums. My grades went back up to a B. When Ii stared the drums, for some strange reason, school got easier than it had been. Going into 8th I stared playing the guitar and played blackball and  cheer and my grades went up again, to an A. I feel that just getting interested in some thing can help, it gets your mind off Dyslexia. This past year I had a report I had to do on someone or something that made a difference in my life, so I did on music and how that help me in school and  in life so I stared researching "Dyslexia Drummers"  and I found this story at the link i put below about Pat Gesualdo, you really need to check it out!

1
0
Anonymous