Anonymous
Q:

Any advice for dealing with avoiding writing with ADHD home schooling?

ADHD Home schooled. Any advice for dealing with avoiding writing? Focuses fine for about an hour. We take breaks from computer curriculum, but whenever I try any kind of writing assignment, or workbooks, he screams at me and slams doors, and the reward system isn’t working. I’ve switched subjects, tried more sensory stuff like cooking or clay but we can’t seem to get a journal going or a work book page finished without all the DRAMA! Help?!
In Topics: Helping my child with writing, Homeschooling, ADHD & attention issues

|

Knowing his age would help.  What has help some home schooled families of older students is to form a group for support. Sometimes the dynamics of for or five students working together focuses the attention longer because the teacher is not necessarily you and the atmosphere is not home.

Also time it right.  In other words don't wait til before lunch or some time when he needs the "boost" from food or drink.

Talk to your pediatrician or other parents in CHAD about how they handle writing assignments.

0
1

tallmama
tallmama writes:
Oh, this sounds oh-so-familiar with my 8 year old son.  He's reading and doing math at grade level (3rd) but writing is a whole other story.  You know what I learned over the last 3 years?  IT'S NOT WORTH THE FIGHT!  He's just not ever going to be a writer.  Yes, he needs to learn to write and get his thoughts on paper, but he's not ready.  It's too much all at once: coming up with an idea, taking the time to get the information from his brain to his hand, correct spelling, neat printing...it's just too overwhelming to his ADHD brain, and he shuts down.  Instead, we use dictation: he dictates his answers to me, I write them in, then he traces my printing.  Or, he dictates a sentence or paragraph to me which I write down on a sheet of paper.  He then copies it into his journal.  His handwriting has improved like you can not even imagine!  The stress level is almost 0, and we're getting work done WITHOUT tears!  That's huge!  My advice, don't sweat it.  He's giving you the signs that he's too overwhelmed and he's not ready.  The beauty of homeschooling is that you can work at your child's pace, so take advantage of that.  He will learn to write, but it will probably take longer than other kids, and that's OK.

3
0
MarcyMcFadden
MarcyMcFadden writes:
Have you tried videos? Have you tried to get him to write a little each day? Have you tried to work with something he likes like sports or gymnastics?
Don't give up!

0
0
mwhamon
mwhamon writes:
Have you tried Time4Learning.com?  It is awesome.  I am involved in a private homeschool situation and our elementary and middle school students use www.time4learning.com.  We have several ADHD students and they have done well with this program.  For written assignments, even for notebooking projects and other types of reports, I let them type everything.

0
0
Anonymous