epitt11
epitt11 asks:
Q:

I think I have ADHD, I need to talk to my parents about this, but I'm too scared.

So, I am 16 and in grade 11. I have always been a loud crazy person, but most people just say I'm 'Loud and out going". But I always felt different, then someone was joking around and said that I probably have ADHD
So I googled it and I pretty much fit all the symptons, but the thing is that I'm fine with the fact I might have it, but I'm scared to talk to someone about it.
I'm scared to tell my parents and what they'll think. I'm scared of what people will think of me, I don't want to be 'that girl with ADHD'. I don't want to have to take medication to be what society deems as 'normal'. Please help.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

HEllo and thank you for writing to JustAsk!

CONGRATULATIONS on taking the first step in being an advocate for yourself!  Whenever you have a challenging topic to discuss with your parents you can try a few strategies.

First, you can ask for a special time to chat with them and if you want write them a note first explaining exactly what you said above in your question here. YOu can even show them this link and have them read it before chatting or during!

If you wish, try and get someone to help you approach your parents, such as a guidance counselor or trusted teacher.  

For more information go to CHADD.org.  You will read about many successful people with ADHD (myself included).  Not all people with ADHD use medication, by the way.  

Also, note that ADHD is a medical diagnosis so you will need to chat with a physician for a definitive diagnosis. Also, what you may be experiencing may be attributed to other factors, such as maturation or just your wonderful personality.  ADHD is a pretty specific diagnosis, but always worth asking about if you are indeed concerned.

GOOD LUCK and I wish you well.

Louise Sattler, School Psychologist

1
0